Wednesday, December 9, 2009

An Outfit for a Snow Day!


My Dad taught me that in the event of a snow storm:
1. Have enough gas in the car. Check!
2. Have an extra coat in the car. If you get stranded, you may need to keep warm. Check!
3. Wear something that if you have to for any reason leave your car, you have a better chance of "survival". Check? Do khakis give me a better chance of survival?

Well, khaki pants would be better than a skirt, for example.

Yes, it snowed last night. More snow than we got back in October. Enough snow to cause everyone that got on the roads today to panic.

I got up early; you never know how bad the roads are really going to be. To save time, I skipped shaving the legs. You know it is getting back when they are no longer prickly! Note to self - shave legs tomorrow no matter what you are wearing!

I thought about going really easy with red and khaki. But I was not in the mood for red. I wanted pink!

Today's ensemble is all about J.Crew!

I got the khakis 2 years ago online. When you work for Target you can never have too many pairs of khakis! I like that these are not like Dockers. I hate Dockers. They are so, how do I say it, masculine? I also do not like pleated, tapered ankle khakis. They are everywhere! These are a nice straight long leg. I actually ordered these in tall. They must be worn with a heel!
(And, just for the record, I wore my sketchers in, so in the event that I was forced to abandon the car...)

The sweater was purchased last Christmas; 30% off final sale. Love those!

The blouse underneath is a nice 3/4 sleeve button down oxford. I didn't need the sweater to cover the oxford because of gaping buttons. It fits perfectly. J.Crew actually recognizes that women have breasts and that they may actually need the buttons to not gape.

So there you have it. J.Crew on a winter day!

I just had a realization. When I think about my dad's lesson about always being prepared...I know where I get "it" from. What is "it?"

"It" is the ability to think that life is ruled by Murphy's law. Here is how this works.

Ben: Maybe we can go running outside.

Me: If we run outside I may fall and break my leg. If I break my leg that is at least 6 weeks of no exercise. Why chance it just for one run? We can go to the gym?

No, not just an excuse to not run. Really, I was willing to go to the gym.

That above example was only a two step leap. I have a talent of painting a very vivid scenario. My kids are far too familiar with it. It is along the lines of "it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye." I can paint a scenario about how acting wildly playing a video game, for example, could lead to the video console getting knocked over, which will then hit the table, which will cause the magazine to knock over the glass. When you bend over to pick up the fallen glass, you accidentally hit yourself in the eye with the video remote.

It is not a gift, but at least now I know where I got it from!

Haircut rescheduled for next week; counting down!

Thanks for checking in!

xo

Kel

3 comments:

  1. Hiya Kel! Just wanted to tell you that I'm glad you're back...I was missing your posts mostly because I knew you were feeling low about Bailey. Hugs to the both of ya...and you're looking great! Nice way to work in holiday cheer without looking at all like a second grade teacher. Not that there's anything wrong with that...some of my very best friends are teachers but...oh shoo..I think you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad instilled the be prepared motto in me and I also can see doom lurking in the most of innocent looking places, especially when the kids are involved. I love the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom instilled the doom mentality in me, too, and I fight it all the time. Just because Greg goes out on the fishing boat doesn't mean a tidal wave is coming, for example. I love the color of that sweater!

    ReplyDelete