Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is this one better Karyn?

Karyn - hope you don't vote this off! I love this dress!

I actually love the story behind the dress - but when don't I?

I bought this dress May 15th. Wow, pretty exact, huh? I know this because that is my anniversary with Ben.

If you look up the date (don't bother I will save you the trouble) it was a Friday. What does Friday mean? Everyone, all together - Casual Friday! My first date with Ben was May 16th. On the 15th was a happy hour for a friend who was leaving the company. Ben and I had our date scheduled already...some day I will share that story with you...anyways, on my first date I wore a black top, khaki capris and a pair of flats. I know, you didn't think I owned any! Anyways, this year, we wanted to recreate the first date lunch. I wore a similar outfit - black top, tan capris but I did wear heels this year. We went out for sushi at the same restaurant as last year. We reminisced about how nervous we were before the date, how special it was, and how wonderful every day has been since. We also had dinner plans at our favorite restaurant, Barrio, which is a tequila bar with some amazing guacamole. Why do I always have to mention the food? Because it is good, that is why. When he came to my office to pick me up for the date, I wanted to surprise him by wearing something different. So, at 4:30 I scurried to Macy's. It is an easy walk from my office. I hit the sale racks...it was around prom time, so there were some great cocktail dresses. Not wanting to spend money on a cocktail dress, I chose this one because I loved the colors, the cut, the neckline, and it just made me happy! I also knew I could make it work for the office. I made the purchase, ran to Target and picked up some blush and some hairspray, and headed back to my office. By the time Ben arrived, I was transformed. I stepped off the elevator, and caught his eyes. I cannot begin to describe the look to you, but I can tell you I get all fuzzy just thinking about it! It was a look that told me how much he loves me. Sappy, I know.

Since we are talking about Ben, hopefully you have seen the movie Julie and Julia? Stanley Tucci (sp?) portrays Julia's husband. You will fall in love with him! One of the reasons I so enjoyed that movie was that the relationship between Julia and her husband reminded me of what I have with Ben. He is supportive, he is kind, he encourages me (even when I tell him I am going to write a blog and I need him to take my picture everyday); it is a wonderful partnership. He makes me very happy!

So, I share this story of the dress, and a story of my Ben.

Even if Karyn hates this dress, I am keeping it! No votes!

That means a question is in order!
Where did you go on your first date? (with Greg, or Ralph, or Peter...or...you fill in the blank!)

Thanks for checking in all!

xo

Kel

15 comments:

  1. I like this one a lot better than the last one :)
    First date?? We walked around the block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, love your story! I was half in love watching Julie & Julia...I was very happy to go home that night. ;)

    Our first date was to see Dare Devil. I thought I wouldn't make it through the movie. You see, I am very...excitable and my now husband was very hot in his tight t-shirt. He used to mountain bike and lift weights. True story, he could bench press me when we were dating. We also met through work. :o) I love a good parallel in life, to connect and relate to people.

    I really enjoy your blog Kel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I met on Valentine's Day-it was a blind date set up by a couple of sets of friends. Funny thing is that both of the sets of friends have separated but Tom and I are happily married. Everyday I am glad that I decided to go out to that dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria - I hope that means you get two presents on Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kel, I LOVE this dress, but I'm a sucker for tropical-like floral prints.

    Just started reading your blog yesterday, and now it's something I look forward to everyday.

    I just love your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is beautiful on you!

    First date with the boy: a Toots & the Maytals show. Everytime I hear 'Pressure Drop' my heart feels all warm and giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grrr...one day I am going to start a blog and tell people they can vote, and then I will not allow votes when I want my own way! LOL For the record, I was going to vote "Please send that dress to me." I just love it. LOVE IT!!! Doe you SEE how much more KEL this dress is than the schmatta from yesterday?

    Greg and I met through my roomate Missy; Greg and Missy's fiance were best friends and had grown up 3 doors apart. Greg brought me roses and wine when he came to pick me up for our first date. I was wearing a very hot flowered sundress that I recently tried on again but it does not fit yet (however, it does still have the same effect on Greg, whether I can button it or not....) We went to an historic inn called the Purcellville Inn (NO - get your mind out of the gutter!) because there was a little tavern at the inn called Stonewall's Tavern that I really liked. We drank, we laughed, we talked about everything, we ate mussels in garlic and brie en croute (sp?), then we went back to my house and ... well, let us just say that it was love at first sight, and we have been together literally ever since our first date.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God that dress would look great on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very happy dress. I love it when that happens.

    My first date with Spencer lasted for 8 hours and involved both casual and dressy clothes. Luckily I wore flats in both categories, because if I'd been towering over Spencer, I may not have fallen in love with him. But I did, and I do, and the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your story and was laughing out loud at every comment. Yes I do see how it looks better than the other dress!

    Schmatta. I am going to have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nine hour first date! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh...love the dress and I can just picture Ben's expression!
    Many first dates...one of the most memorable was at the beach in Pensacola Florida on a New Years Day!
    It will be interesting to see where the next one will be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely LOVE the dress! It screams Kel!

    Dan says our first date was when I invited everyone I knew at the time to my house because my mom was in town and was making pizza. He came late so he could have me all to himself (unbeknownst to me). He then asked me out - our actual first date in my opinion - to reciprocate and took me to the Pasta House Cafe in Pacific Beach. It is no longer there but we have been together ever since. There is a funny story to be told about that date. If anyone actually reads this post let me know and I'll tell you "the rest of the story".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kel, I love the dress!!! My first date with my hubby was to the movies and out to dinner. Yeah I know very boring......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ivanek - I want the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete